Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I've come to terms with having 3 game outlets installed on my system.  There is of course Steam.  But a couple of months ago I was compelled to install the Gamestop app when I purchased the uber-mega-ultra D&D Interplay pack.  They occasionally have Steam-esque deals and yesterday was one such occasion that led to the installation of EA's Origin app.  It seems most of the games sold through the Gamestop app actually just provide keys to either Steam or Origin.  I saw Kingdoms of Amalur for $6 and picked it up.  THIS is why I don't buy games at release.  I can pay pennies on the dollar if I give it a few months or a year.  I'm already seeing Borderlands 2 creep down to the $30 mark...  Anyway, I was dubious about installing EA's app because generally speaking, I just don't trust EA's policies or their product quality.  But for $6 I figured I could take the risk.  I can't fault anything with Origin so far.  Installing it and redeeming my Amalur key was painless and the download speed was equivalent to what I get with Steam.  To my surprise it also noticed that my email address had Battlfield: Bad Company 2 attached to it and added it to my Origin account automatically.  Cool beans.


As for Kingdoms of Amalur - I'm not very far into it, but I think I'm far enough to have a grip on the basic mechanics and gist of the game.  DEFINITELY worth $6.  The gameplay and overall feel reminds me of Fable in some ways.  My character is apparently a reborn cadaver that has had its soul re-inserted.  In this second life I'm unbound by fate and I'm able to meddle in the threads of fate itself.  Pretty neat premise to start off with.  We'll see where the story takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment